Fun & Festive Carols
26 November 2018
It’s really getting festive so we thought we’d ask around for people’s favourite carol singing & concerts happening in the county. Nothing gets you in the spirit quite like a good old sing song!
1. If you’re looking for a spectacular venue then head to Salisbury Cathedral for BBC Wiltshire carol service on Saturday 8th December at 5.00pm to 6.30pm or the Carols by Candlelight on 22nd & 23rd December.
2. The popular Imber Festival of Carols at the deserted village of Imber on Salisbury Plain at 2.30pm on Saturday 22nd December. Places are limited to 250 so get your tickets early.
3. Enjoy carols in the beautiful surrounding of Malmesbury Abbey – Malmesbury Singers Christmas concert is on Saturday 8th December at 7.30pm and the Youth Action Wiltshire Carol Service is on Friday 14th December at 7.30pm.
4. Set in the stunning Marlborough College Chapel is a Christmas Carol Concert in aid of Hopes and Homes for Children. A great way to kick off the holiday – Saturday 15th December 4.00pm – 01672 562777 for tickets or from The White Horse Bookshop or Kim Vine.. Performers include the Great Bedwyn Millennium Choir, Blue Belles, Children's choir from Oare and Ogbourne Primary Shools & organist Chris de Souza. Tickets £10 - children under 12 free.
5. For an evening of Christmas wonderfulness head to The Invitation Theatre Company's Christmas Concert at St John's Church, Devizes on Saturday 15th December at 7.00pm. Raising money for Devizes Open Doors & Wiltshire air ambulance it also stars the Devizes Children's Choir. Tickets are £6 and available from Devizes books.
Julia House's annual Carols by Candlelight is also at St John's Church on Tuesday 4th December at 7.00pm. This year Kris Marshall (star of My Family, Love Actually and Death in Paradise) will be reading at the event along with BBC's Flog it presenter and antiques expert Paul Martin. There will also be live camels!
6. If in Box there's an evening of carols, poems and fun readings called 'A Celebration for Christmas' at the Methodist Church in Box on Saturday 8th December at 7.30pm. Admission is free but there'll be a retiring collection for Action for Children.
7. If you're near Tisbury this free event at Messums Wiltshire sounds wonderful. On Saturday 22nd December at 6.00pm join 200 voices, including local choirs for an experience like no other this Christmas. Just bring your voice and best Christmas wishes and help them raise the roof of the building. Donations in aid of St John's Church East Window Appeal.
The bar will be open for mulled wine, drinks and their homemade sausage rolls.
8. A visit to the beautiful stones of Avebury could be followed by a concert by Avebury Vocal Ensemble at St James on Sunday 9th December at 7.30pm.
9. Join the Seend Singers at Cleeve House, Seend for Christmas Carols & songs on Wednesday 12th December at 7.30pm.
10. On Saturday 8th December at 7.30pm the Rotary Club Christmas Extravaganza is on at St Andrew's Church, Chippenham. Featuring the Colerne Military Wiltshire Wives Choir and the Wiltshire Police Band and hosted by Amanda Parr from BBC Points West. Tickets £10.
11. Pop into Pewsey Fire Station on Saturday 8th December for an evening of Christmas carols from 6.30pm to 7.45pm. Mulled wine, mince pies and singing from the Pewsey Male Voice Choir.
12. The George & Dragon in Rowde have Christmas Carols on Sunday 23rd December. Complimentary minced pies & mulled wine at the pub from 4-5pm followed by carols at the church at 6.00pm. Return back to the pub for a 2 course traditional Christmas supper £17.50 per person (limited availability, bookings only).
13. John Rutter conducts 'A Camerata Christmas' at Holy Trinity Church in Bradford on Avon at 5.00pm on Sunday 23rd December
Got some more suggestions? Contact us on Twitter or Facebook or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll add them in.